Tonights dinner was Avocado Broccoli Slaw salad. One of my favourite salads & it is always absolutely delicious. I love this salad for a number of reasons: not only is it delicious, it is also healthy, vegan, quick & easy to make! Does it get much better then that?
– 1 Lime
– 1 Avocado
– 2 garlic cloves (or whatever you prefer)
– 1 pear (I used an asian pear)
– Fresh ground pepper to taste
– 1 bag of Organic Broccoli Slaw
For Christmas my mom gave me “M&M Garlic’s” Minced Garlic – I love their garlic products & they are from my hometown, so that is even cooler! Better yet, already having the minced garlic on-hand makes this salad even quicker to make!
– Empty the bag of broccoli slaw into a bowl
– Dice the asian pear & add it to the broccoli slaw (mixing it in)
*I made the dressing in my Blendtec blender but feel free to use an immersion blender.
-Remove the skin & pitt from the avocado. Add the avocado to the blender.
-Add as much garlic as you prefer to the blender. I love garlic and used a tablespoon of minced garlic.
-Cut the lime in half and squeeze all of the lime juice into the blender. Cut the pulp out of the lime & also add it.
-Add fresh pepper grinds.
– & blend until you have a creamy dressing!
*I LOVE garlic & pepper- almost all of the food I make I add a ton of garlic and pepper!
– Add the dressing to the salad & mix in!
Since this is all I was making for dinner tonight, I decided to add quinoa to make it more filling. Quinoa is great in salads- the salad becomes more filling & more nutrient rich. Quinoa is full of benefits, to name a few: it is full of fiber (makes for a happy tummy), protein & magnesium rich, contains iron & is gluten free (it is not related to the wheat family).
Quinoa cooking instructions:
1. To add quinoa to this salad- measure out 1/2 cup of quinoa.
3. After rinsing, add it to the cooking pot, add 1 cup of water. I also added a veg cube to add more flavour to the quinoa.
4. Bring water to a boil, cover with a tight fitting lid, and turn the heat down to simmer.
5. Cook for approx. 15 minutes.
6. Remove quinoa from heat & allow to sit for 5 minutes with the lid left on.
7. Remove lid, fluff with a fork, eat plain or add to the salad!
Hope you enjoy this salad as much as I do!